Sunday, July 31, 2011

Another friend of mine

So today I want to talk about another friend of mine from the past. I'm not sure he'd want me to use his real name here so I'm going to call him Claude.

I met him while attending college back in the early 80's. He sat next to me in my Psych 101 class. Both of us were night owls and the class was an 8am class, so more often than not, one of us would be nodding off during it. I think sometimes we used to prop each other up so we could sleep more soundly.

Claude was an interesting guy. He was into a lot of things: music, drama, dance, kung fu, and flying are the ones I remember best. He didn't wear tons of jewelry but what he did wear was tasteful and classy. I remember one ring he wore often, and how badly he felt when he damaged it while he was angry one night. His clothing was stylish but not above his student status. He didn't wear 3-piece suits, although I'm sure he'd have looked fantastic in one. Jeans and a t-shirt, even if his t-shirts were better quality than most.

I remember going out one night and watching him on the dance floor. He had so much motion going on, even when dancing to a slow tune. More energy than most. He was just a joy to watch on the floor, so fluid in movement. That he got me out onto that dance floor is enough for me to praise him forever for doing the impossible. That he made it fun for me and not torture made it even better.

Claude had this ease to him. He made you comfortable just by being near you. He could make you laugh hard enough to cry and he could bring you to tears sometimes with his emotional speeches.

I lost touch with him in the mid 90's and always wondered what had happened to him. Thanks to Facebook, I no longer have to wonder. We are in touch from time to time. He's more guarded now, thanks to life. I haven't talked to him on the phone or in person and I'm not sure I ever will again. But, I do know it sounds like he's doing a job he loves and I know that his magic with people is still there. You can see that by the comments left when he posts anything.

So, to Claude, who knows who he is, I miss the young man I knew and I miss the chance to get to know you for who you are today. But I am glad to have you in my life again, even if it is just on the edge of it. Thanks for answering my email more than a year ago. I've missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment